19 October 2010

Krapp's Last Tape by Samuel Beckett

Krapp - Michael Gambon
Directed by Michael Colgan

A production from The Gate Theatre seen during a short run at The Duchess. Seat was a freebie in row K. As I was entering, I saw Stephen Dillane leaving from the earlier performance.


You could hear a pin drop in the auditorium. You could also hear the man next to me breathing heavily, the woman on the other side of me sobbing, a man in the centre stalls snoring, someone back-stage clanging doors and the man who had to take a break for a pee was in danger of upstaging Mr Gambon.

That would, of course have been impossible. He was wonderful. The script isn't as I had remembered it but who knows, my previous experience may have played fast and loose with it. There were more 'spools' as I recall.

It's not for everyone but if there is no phonebook available for Mr Gambon to read, a Beckett monologue is a fair substitute.